Meal Ideas: Chicken Thighs with Squash Fries and Braised Greens
This post is part of the Meal Ideas series. Finding something to eat that is simultaneously affordable, quick to prepare, healthy, AND delicious can be next-to-impossible sometimes. In this section I post pictures of the food I make, links to recipes I love, and some tips for saving time and money while still cooking great-tasting healthy food.
As the weather has gotten progressively colder over the last month, I have found my mind more and more frequently turning to meals like this one. There’s something about fall weather that just begs for roasted squash or root vegetables, and the chicken — with crispy skin right out of the oven — seems like the perfect pairing.
This is a great meal to make for company because all of the prep can be done ahead of time: all that’s left to do right before dinner is to quickly braise the greens and to take the chicken and fries out of the oven.
- 6-10 Chicken thighs (however many will fit on your baking sheet)
- 1 Butternut squash (a few sweet potatoes would also work well)
- 1 bunch swiss chard (or kale or spinach or a combination)
- 3-6 Tbsp coconut oil (or other cooking fat)
- 2 tsp herbes de provence
- salt and pepper
- vegetable peeler
- 2 baking sheets
- parchment paper
- frying pan
- Preheat the oven to 425 F
- Peel and cut the squash according to these instructions. Cut into fry-shaped wedges or 1″ cubes, depending on your preference.
- Place parchment paper on each baking sheet
- Melt coconut oil
- Spread out squash pieces on one baking sheet.
- Toss with 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken thighs on the other baking sheet
- Mix the herbes de provence with 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil. Spread over the chicken thighs.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Flip squash half-way through (20 minutes).
- After about 30 minutes, roughly chop the greens, removing the stems.
- Place frying pan on the stove over medium-high heat and add remaining coconut oil to the pan.
- Sauté greens along with coconut oil and some water according to these instructions.
- When the greens are fully wilted, serve alongside the chicken thighs and squash fries.
Posted on October 28, 2013, in Meal Ideas and tagged AIP, autoimmune protocol-friendly, butternut squash, chicken thigh, Food, herbes de provence, meal ideas, Paleo, paleo meal, squash, swiss chard. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.